It's a new year! I have no idea why I'm starting it off by typing this journal entry, but I guess that's just the way things flow in this crazy new year we call 2015.
Here's some updates:
- Even though 2014 wasn't the greatest year ever for me (there were a lot of projects I took part in or started that either fell flat or didn't get anywhere), it was still a better year for me compared to 2013. I finally got to take some animation classes, and my work began to improve almost immediately. I ended up doing a lot to overcome my original habit of using smears and multiples as a crutch for animating movement, instead of actually drawing the character transitioning between frames more naturally. I also made quite a bit of progress in learning the principals of animation and learning about the history of the field.
- I dealt with an art block for most of 2013 and 2014, but I think it's safe to say at this point that I've overcome it and am making headway to do more animation stuff again, as well as try out some new stuff. Because, you know, variety is the spice of life! That, and I'm set to graduate at the end of this year, so my time is dwindling down for working on silly, more experimental projects on the side.
- I put the ask blogs I have on Tumblr on ice for now. I originally started them for fun, but the demand for more updates got to me and I began obsessing over trying to update them. Ironically, I wasn't happy with the entries I was making either, and a lot of them ended up scrapped and not being published. It got to a point where it was really hampering my ability to work on projects, on schoolwork and even spend time with family. I would be fine returning to them someday, but for now I have no need to look back.
- What to expect from me this year? Why, I thought you would never ask!
- My big project this year is my senior film for college. It will most likely be a larger animation and also an original creation, although I'm keeping details under wraps for now since I'm still working on some of the foundation stuff. I'm hoping to try out some new post-processing effects for it that might give a rather unique look you don't usually see in a senior film, but we'll see how it turns out. I might post some updates here on DA, but it's almost a guarantee that I'll post updates on my Tumblr art blog, so I'd check that out if you really want more updates to read.
- I'm also working on an updated portfolio and demo reel for the stuff I made in 2014, as well as some much-needed business cards.
- Other projects I'm currently helping with include being an animator on Raycord Legends (which is proving to be an absolute blast so far to work on), helping design a Sonic point-and-click adventure fangame (yes, you read that correctly), and doing some concept work for another game dev studio on an unannounced title.
- As for other projects I'd like to circle back around to...
- Something To Do With Butterflies. Out of the many ideas I threw around in 2014, I constantly fall in love with this one every time I think of it, and I'm actually very happy with what I made for it so far and the places it could go. I would love to come back to it, put more time into it and start handing out assignments to a crew, but with this year being as hectic as I think it might be, it's hard to say for now.
- Blarmio's Morning Jog is actually over halfway done; it mostly just needs more art and a little more coding for some missing features, and it would be good to go. It helps that I still find myself playing it every now and then too, so maybe it might be worth considering.
- Depending on how things turn out with who ends up owning the characters (and if I find the time), I'd like to make another short featuring the Mystery Skulls Animated characters.
- Anything on the back burner?
- Emerl, as an animated series. Most of the concept work is completed; it's mostly a case of continuing to pitch the idea around, which could certainly take a while. I jumped the gun with bringing on VA's to help with it at such an early stage, and I constantly remember how foolish I was for doing that. At this point though, there's not really much I can do, other than continue to pitch the idea and hope for the best. There's still a chance Emerl could show up for my senior film, but at this point I think I'd rather focus my efforts on doing something completely new for the film if it means it'll have a better story.
- The Tumblr ask and comic blogs, as previously stated above.
Alright, that's enough for now. Hope you all have a wonderful new year! Take care!